Jody Vance

My New Job(s) – by Jody Vance

It’s been a topsy-turvy last 18 months, and I would not change a damn thing.

Seeing opportunity in unplanned change is what I do, there’s always a silver lining.

In March of 2016 I was part of massive cost-cutting layoffs at Rogers, leaving me without a full-time job for the first time in my adult life.  It was both scary and a massive relief — I’m not really a morning person, so five years of 4am wake ups was a grind for me both physically and emotionally (with a wee lad in the mix).

After the lay-offs, my boy and I took our long overdue trip to Spain, then I got busy with “what’s next” planning.

Enter my friend Drex.  He called me to see if I might be interested in “doing radio” again — with his team at CKNW.  I started in the fall of 2016.  Exercising my Newstalk muscles during this calendar year was like learning to ride a bike while jumping into a group headed up the sea-to-sky on the Grand Fondo.  (Trump, terrorist attacks, BC election chaos, housing crisis) It was an education and great challenge, I like to think that I found my voice.

Thankfully the job taught me a great deal about our city, our country, our continent and the world.  I worked along side some of the kindest and most generous broadcasters imaginable.  The leadership was second-to-none. Yesterday I said goodbye to them, as my next adventure awaits.

THIS IS WHAT’S NEXT:

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA—September 13, 2017 – Roundhouse Radio, 98.3 has added a nationally acclaimed voice to the heart of their weekday schedule with the addition of veteran broadcaster Jody Vance beginning Monday, September 25th 2017.

MIDDAY WITH JODY VANCE – 10:00 am to 1:00 pm (Weekdays):  With energy, honesty and a wicked sense of humour, Jody will bring depth, topical conversation and her trademark wit to Roundhouse Radio middays. Expect lively conversations talking all things news, opinion, sports, parenting, pets, lifestyle and food. And that’s just to get started!

Jody Vance brings decades of radio and TV experience to our airwaves both locally and across Canada — among many accomplishments, she has had her own national sports program, news anchor, host of Breakfast Television, and most recently she has been at CKNW talking about news and current affairs.  Mother to a young son, she knows the path of parenting and holds a red seal in Culinary Arts so there may be a recipe or two to be shared every now and then…

Roundhouse Radio CEO Don Shafer: “We are very excited to bring Jody’s considerable talents to Roundhouse Radio on a daily basis. Her level of broadcast experience and professionalism runs deep. People will be tuning in for her signature style of conversation”.

Added to the mix is an unexpected puzzle piece, and if you know me – and my passion for sports – it’s an important piece, indeed.  I get to continue to grow my role with Sportsnet 650 radio, the newest arm of that great brand here in Vancouver.  Nothing specific to report at the moment, but as we say in radio: Stay Tuned.

It’s all very exciting and I will continue to share news, views and adventures here on Mybackyard.press along side our wonderful contributors.

Get to your radio and lock in FM 98.3, I will meet you there each day starting in two weeks time.

• Reply Shannon September 13, 2017 at 8:19 pm

Awesome Jody I will be sure to tune in!! Good for you! Glad it is all working out.

• Reply Jody Vance September 13, 2017 at 8:33 pm

thanks sister.

• Reply Pete Q September 13, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Congrats Jody great news and wonderful to hear you’ll be keeping your sports tools sharp

• Reply Jody Vance September 13, 2017 at 8:32 pm

You need to send me LOTS of stories!!!! You are the best!

• Reply Charlotte Phillips September 13, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Wow!!! Awesome news! You will be unstoppable on the airwaves. Good job, Girl. Hit it outta the park.

• Reply Peter September 13, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Look forward to it, count me in

• Reply Barbara September 13, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Such exciting news! I have always been an avid radio listener – I have a favourite morning show, a favourite afternoon show #steeleanddrex and now something for my daytime.
    I look forward to hearing your voice & perspective on all things fun &/or serious.
    Congratulations on your new gig!

• Reply Wendy Vreeken Banham September 13, 2017 at 8:50 pm

Congratulations, Jody!

• Reply Sue Griffin September 13, 2017 at 9:22 pm

This is awesome! A voice with heart, passion and compassion, a soul based on integrity, truth and transparency and best of all…a female leader in sport in Canada! I am SO proud to be a witness to your journey my friend!!

• Reply Don Foran September 13, 2017 at 11:57 pm

way2go Jodes..!

• Reply LINDA FOX September 14, 2017 at 1:58 am

Congrats to you Jody!!!

• Reply Jody Vance September 14, 2017 at 7:23 am

Thanks everyone. Sue – you make me cry! ❤️

• Reply dlw1805 September 14, 2017 at 9:51 am

Congratulations from Victoria. Still miss you on b’fast tv. All the best.

• Reply Christopher Bradley September 14, 2017 at 10:13 am

Congratulations! Interesting to “listen” to and read about your journey. Having recently been transitioned from my role your comments resonate. Similarly, my wife and kids took a trip to Europe this summer. I noticed a difference in my engagement with them and my ability to relax – must be something to do with not coming back to a 1000 unread emails! Again, congrats on your evolution and we’ll look that handle up on the FM station. Cheers from an old Orca Bay coworker.

• Reply Todd Robson September 14, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Congrats!

• Reply Shari Whittaker September 14, 2017 at 2:23 pm

Wow – great. I have always enjoyed listening to you. I will be tuning in.

• Reply Anthony Evangelista September 14, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Congrats Jody! Keep jumping on the Trampoline of life! Say Hi to Mr. Brady for me!

• Reply Colleen Brow September 14, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Jody, this is fabulous news. I can’t think of a better person for the job. You’re warm, personable, witty, and you don so many life hats…….you’re the whole package, sista! Congrats and I look forward to hearing your radio voice, once again.

• Reply Cathy September 16, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Way to go Jody! As I told you before whenever I take a car2go I change the radio station to roundhouse radio 98.3 and leave it there at the end of my trip. Now I even have a better reason to do so – i’m proud of you!

• Reply Jody Vance September 22, 2017 at 5:38 pm