Jody Vance

Your Song, Your Playlist? – by Jody Vance

My 9 year old has discovered music, it’s the best! (thank you Santa for the iPod Shuffle)

Unlike the old days, when we would sit at the ready with pause/play/record depressed on the tape recorder and the radio on, he has unlimited options sitting before him on iTunes.

His first downloads were “Hey Jude” (The Beatles) and “Ahead By A Century” (The Tragically Hip) — I instantly felt good about my parenting skills with his choices.  Of course, being mother of the year, I introduced him to the clean versions of Eminem, Jay-Z and 50 Cent….(while impressing him and his bestie with the fact that I know all the words to the raps. cool mom)

The other day he was adding to his playlist, and asked, “what’s a good band to download?” — I paused and was about to answer, after all I was wearing the sweatshirt with the answer ON IT!  He turned back to the iTunes library and said, “I got it.”  When I inquired as to his next search he said, “I’m looking up The Rolling Stones, but that is what you were going to say, right?”

Right.

Now here’s the big question: “What song should I pick?”

Where do you even start with a question like this?  A library that rich…..the depth and breadth of the music.

It’s sparked a great deal of conversation, in my backyard, since.  Which would be your pick?

“Start Me Up” was his Dad’s choice, his Pseudo Aunt CP said “Sympathy for the Devil”, I was going “Shattered” or “Little T ‘n A” (mother of the year!?)

It should be noted that he didn’t go with The Stones, in the moment, rather asked: “Mom, how do you spell The Bee Gees” and downloaded “Stayin’ Alive”.

What would you tell an expanding musical mind to download? What MUST be on that iPod Shuffle?

Please make suggestions in the comment section of this blog, my boy will read them there and sample.

Thank you!

• Reply Arlene April 9, 2017 at 8:57 am

My son was a big Bee Gee fan when he was around 9 or 10. He also loved watching the movie “Staying Alive” over and over and over. My husband’s son loved the Beatles when he was around 10. I would like to suggest he listen to a bit of the “Loving Spoonful”. Anything that will get his feet tapping and head bouncing.

• Reply Tina April 9, 2017 at 9:03 am

Shattered. Hands down!! Played that in the car over and over when the girls were young!!

• Reply Don Martin April 9, 2017 at 9:32 am

Midnight Rambler and You Can’t Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones. Layla by Eric Clapton. The Eagles with Joe Walsh. Every boy needs some Led Zeppelin on their playlist.

• Reply Tony Everett April 9, 2017 at 9:44 am

I really really like The Eagles! (So does Tim)

• Reply Eric Westra April 9, 2017 at 10:24 am

Well, if you’re picking out Stones tracks, you’ve got to include with Gimme Shelter and You Can’t Always Get What You Want. Could maybe throw in It’s Only Rock n’Roll. For a cross section of something a little different 4 Non Blondes – What’s Up, Collective Soul The World I Know, Moby – Natural Blues, Les McCann and Eddie Harris – Compared to What, Robbie Williams – Feel, Once In a Lifetime – Talking Heads…just to keep things interesting.

• Reply Shawn Webster April 9, 2017 at 10:45 am

My 14 year old amazes us on car trips with his eclectic music mix. Lots of great new stuff that I love (Ed Sheehan, Chainsmokers and more) then suddenly Queen, Aerosmith, and Frank Sinatra! It’s so cool when they go outside the current pop genre to other times. Enjoy Jody!

• Reply Larry April 9, 2017 at 12:08 pm

The Turtles You Baby
    The Cowsills The Rain The Park and Other Things
    The Temptations Reach Out I’ll be there ( and any Motown)
    Booker T and the MGs Green Onions
    The Walker Brothers The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore
    The Beatles Got To Get You Into My Life
    The Rolling Stones Ruby Tuesday
    The Moody Blues Nights In White Satin
    Procol Harum Whiter Shade Of Pale
    Yes Roundabout
    The Kinks Sunny Afternoon
    Buffalo Springfield On The Way Home

If you need another thousand let me know 🙂
    Go get em B !