Jody Vance

Not “just another day” – by Jody Vance

Getty Images: Caroline Purser

Today was just another day, yet not, for a couple of reasons.

First, Throw Back Thursday.

Last year on this date, I wrapped up my daily morning show on TV and was asked to “meet in the boardroom”.  Over my almost 5 years at this station there were literally hundreds of layoffs — today it was my turn.  I was told “the bad news”, and yet it wasn’t bad — at all.

Fear of change isn’t in my DNA, I’m not sure why.  Change comes and then it’s embraced – there’s always something new and exciting — un forseen — ahead.

One year ago today, while fielding texts – and calls – of condolences, there was this crazy good spring in my step.  “Onward!”

Don’t get me wrong, I love to work, I really do.  I also enjoy immensely the security of a good job – but I also love change.

Change came, one year ago today.

My second point here is: Today — March 23, 2017 — is a personal landmark day.

Today, while walking my son to his friends house (so that I could get to CKNW for my radio job by 8:15a) we happened past a gent and said “good morning.”  He returned the nicety and then looked back and said “hey, you are the writer, aren’t you?”

I paused.

I’d heard “that girl from ______” (Sportsnet, Seeking Stanley, LeafsTV, City, CBC, VTV, CKNW, Rock101) but I had never been recognized for being a writer. I looked back questioning…and then it happened.

He said, “Mybackyard, right? I just found it, I love it. Thank you, I really love it.”

Insert my head exploding with pride and gratitude.

My son looked at me with an impish, knowing, grin.  He loves when his mom is “recognized” — he said, “wow, mom, now you are a writer too!”

I’m a writer.

Game changer. What a profound example of how change is always for the better?

My point here — buried a bit, I will admit — is:

Right now THAT GUY is reading this and, perhaps only now, realizing how his words made me feel about me.  Thank you “E”.

Words don’t do justice to how you (and you and you and you.) make us feel by reading, and commenting, here.  It matters, has impact, makes the world a better place – one reader or writer at a time.

Here at Mybackyard.press we are over 40,000 (in just 6 months of writing and sharing) and growing!

Every contributor here is a writer, (thank you) every reader here is part of our community (thank you) — we are so glad to have you here in our backyard. #mybackyard

Life can throw you curveballs, and fastballs, knuckleballs and sliders — catch them all — it’s worth the gifts you must wait to see.

• Reply Charlotte Phillips March 23, 2017 at 6:04 pm

You are a great writer. I am happy that I found your blog and also honoured to be a contributor! Keep up the great work on all fronts, especially the one where you take such good care of your family.

• Reply Shari March 23, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Jody you definitely are a writer. You are also a great radio host. Changed stations this week to listen to you. Keep it up. Today may be not just another day for us either. My husband (over 80) had to be tested for driver’s licence. Everything fine but eyes. Turns out he needs cataract surgery. Today he was told no more driving until surgery over. I don’t drive. Surgery April 5. Guess we might be taking the bus. Who knows – we might find we like Transit and it will bring a change to our life!

• Reply Wendy Beckett March 23, 2017 at 6:48 pm

I enjoyed this Jody, thanks. I would also like to pass on my condolences to CLaire………it wouldn’t let me comment yesterday for some unknown reason. My brother & wife still in England were adamant today that they are going to join the crowd on Westminster Bridge with candles today and are mad as HEll!
    Their daughter works within sight of Parliament and was locked down for hours. The “carrry on” spirit is still alive and well “back home”.

• Reply Louella Charlston March 23, 2017 at 9:48 pm

Love this!!! Thank yoU!!

• Reply Kovacs March 23, 2017 at 10:04 pm

Great read! Great attitude.

• Reply Patricia March 24, 2017 at 1:21 am

Having left the Vancouver area almost 2 years ago to return to the East coast, I was missing mornings with you on BT. I was so happy to find you again in MyBackyard! Love the blog and your refreshing and honest point of view. This piece especially struck a chord with me – to always keep your eyes open for the next adventure. Best of luck to you in your writing adventures!

• Reply Diane Ricciardi March 24, 2017 at 6:23 am

You have always inspired me, and countless others, with your fearless enthusiasm, your positive creativity and your impeccable WRITING. Thank you for Mybackyard!!

• Reply Linda March 24, 2017 at 11:55 am

Change, yes, yes. I sometimes wonder what makes one person make/take the opportunity and another watch it sail past! Now that’s a conversation for a wet afternoon! Primarily guess it comes down to attitude, confidence, like a challenge. Now you don’t exactly pick those up in the supermarket so how do they come about? Yes, there are ways to develop those balances but if it’s not there naturally you could jump the first fence, even the second, but come unstuck at the third. Depending where your stop comes.

Go, go Jody……every day gives you a new fence!

Ciao, Linda

• Reply everett raeburn March 24, 2017 at 6:42 pm

hey jody, you are correct. i am reading this, (or i should say, “have read it.) yeah, i have seen you grow from a green cub reporter at vtv to a respected journalist.
    i was touched that you felt good about my remark , but face it, you are a writer. i know that one does not just appear in front of the camera on a network without some writing ability.
    that being said, not many leave the fame and spotlight that television brings.
    i love the idea of discussion that this blog brings , (a “hot stove” if you will.) sports humour there.
    i am proud to be the first to recognize or be starstruck by you as a writer, but i also know i will not be the last., and that gives me even more pride.
    you mention all the pitches that life gives you but i admire those who can hit said pitches out of the park.
    thank you to all involved in these discussions. the world needs all opinions and views , so that we can grow as a group.
    i apologize for the lack of caps but i am relearning how to write but you all make me feel welcome in sharing the experience.
    keep the discussions of all things, open to all. that is this blog’s beauty and gift
    everett

• Reply Jody Vance March 25, 2017 at 10:43 am

Very cool.

• Reply Timothy Knight March 25, 2017 at 8:50 am

Congrats! And you did, indeed, move “Onward!”

• Reply Cara March 26, 2017 at 8:46 am

I found this Blog just a few months ago and it is wonderful. ‘We’ are here because you and your Mybackyard co-conspirators ARE writers – truly fine writers – and your words speak to us. Thank you!

• Reply Cathy March 28, 2017 at 3:56 pm

I’m so proud of you Jody! Writer, TV host, Chef, Mom…..FRIEND!

• Reply Jody Vance March 28, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Thanks Cath, that means a lot. Funny that I was walking my boy to YOUR HOUSE when it all happened. Thank god for great friends who support the Momma’s who work weird hours. lol!