Jody Vance

Who Are You? – by Jody

img_5446

Getty Images: Mitchell Tim

Who are you? Are you the You who “blames the media” for what is wrong in the world?

If so, this blog is for You.

Want to blame someone, look in the mirror.

The state of “The Media” today can be traced directly to You, and your hours on end on Netflix or social media, without a second thought to live local/national and international news. You are no longer engaged in world events, You react to what happens – with loud outrage – when stories go viral. Seemingly more invested and concerned with the latest kill-off on “Game of Thrones” – yet thinking You are “in the know” because You checked “what’s trending” on Facebook.

That is not The Media. Mainstream TV, print or radio — The Media — is not to blame.

It floors me to see how many people are echoing that “it’s big media’s fault” that ‘we’ have to live with the world’s ills (Donald Trump President Elect. Pipelines. Aleppo.) In my opinion, this is very flawed thinking.

You have to live in the world we create, You and me.

Are you mad in America? Perhaps You didn’t vote? (Or voted for a third party in protest, or lied about who You voted for to the pollsters.) None of the results are “The Media’s” fault.

This isn’t Anderson Cooper or Megan Kelly’s fault, nor is it their producers.  Lots of folks blaming Canadian Media for pandering to Liberals, they’re not.  Issues in Canada are not Peter Mansbridge’s fault.  These journalists cover the realities of the voting majority.

Calls to dissolve the CBC are nothing short of ridiculous. Sure, there are ways to curb the overspending on certain things at the Corp, but overall the CBC does great work. I’ve walked that walk, I worked there and can tell you that the newsroom hierarchy stresses over the smallest detail, in the name of getting it right.

Are there fluffy stories on all big networks? Yes.  That viral cat video — that’s Your fault.  It’s been proven that You will stay tuned, when You do watch, just to see.

Feeding You what keeps You tuned in is the reality that has hit cable news — they need You. Media is dying because of You.  Do you consume local news? National? International? Or are You are a cord cutter (no cable) or don’t subscribe to news channels, do You follow – and read – the NYTimes, the Washington Post, Associated Press? If not, then I am talking about You.

So many of these You’s like to brag about not “having cable”, proudly announce “I don’t even own a TV”?  The You who says they get all that they need from the smart phone only-who-I-want-to-follow social media News consumer.

Newsrooms are scrambling, now more than ever, with shrinking workforces — with no money due to the shrinking You.

Newsrooms around the globe have been slashed — I’m suggesting here that those left to cover the News deserve not only our respect, but also gratitude.  They are busting their asses for ALL of US.

Currently working in Talk Radio, covering news and current affairs, after 4+ years doing “The News” and 20 more in sports TV and radio, I continue to be a hard working defender.

We can turn this around — we just need the masses (YOU) to get back to being present — consume News and see what is going on in this world, beyond the meme/cat video/Kardashians.  Consume it.   React to it. Act on it. Protest, either by the pen or in person.  Invest in our country, in our world.  Reconnect.

Stop blaming the messengers if You are not engaging in the facts delivered by The Media.

Note: if you are enjoying #Mybackyard – consider signing  up for our email blast.  It’s on the homepage. We don’t spam, we just deliver the daily blog to your inbox.

• Reply Leesa December 2, 2016 at 6:24 am

Here here, Jody!

• Reply Amber van Drielen December 2, 2016 at 8:29 am

Good article. Can you suggest best ways to make our ideas \ feedback known to the “large media” I would like to see more full coverage of electoral reform…model politic outcomes…scenarios that engage the public ….also climate change issues can become very watered down on main media. I have satellite TV and I normally watch CbC and sometimes CTV. I also watch online.

• Reply Don Lehn ND/Editor of FVN Fraser Valley News December 2, 2016 at 9:49 am

Bravo! This concern goes back to when college kids ACTUALLY thought Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert and even Rick Mercer/22 Minutes were ACTUAL NEWS….even CBC’s Air Farce! Thank god for real jurno’s and sadly, we also have to rely on Snopes.com !

• Reply debra christian December 2, 2016 at 10:39 am

Thanks for your article Jody. So glad you put finger to keyboard on this issue. It is quite shocking to see how many people are disengaged when it comes to world events and even local news that effects their own communities. As the saying goes, “knowledge is power.” I, for one, am grateful for access to well researched stories. With time and money shrinking, I know it is becoming harder for journalists to do the kind of work they would like to do. In my opinion, subscribing to a variety of news media is the best way to form a credible opinion. Value the Guardian, NY Times, Globe & Mail and CBC, CTV.

• Reply Adeel December 2, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Excellent article Jody, as a society it’s time for our own introspection before the moral compass moves too far, hard but possible. Well written.

• Reply Marijke Dallimore Lindsay December 3, 2016 at 11:20 am

More and more people don’t even read…toobusy. Jody’s article, no matter how well written, will be read by interested people. A minority I am afraid. The engaged.
    I love CBC, The Globe etc but most of all The online Vancouver and National Observer. I subscribe to them with pleasure, others not so much. They were bought by wealthy news destroyers and written with a rather strong , against something slant. As a Christian I now have very little left that is good according to the news ferrets, many religions have been cut down at the ankles. While amazing stories have happened. Do we hear how many Syrians are Christians and that under terrible circumstances. The slant toward secular humanism is great. I am a reader and always will be, but many of my cohorts have dropped out because the story is slanted and why would you stay…The paper is full of violence in our streets, creating fear while we live in a safe place in Canada.The News shows mangled cars who wants to see that. Not me.
    I now read my News, its without tarred bodies. A European, I know how Hitler was allowed to climb to power by ignorance and what has happened to our Southern cousins because the News now is what a minority wants to see. We need to create a different way of doing it and I think Linda, at the Vancouver Observer did that. But they will struggle financially and pay a price for cutting ties with big money, who continue to fight to stay the same…with less readers and watchers…

• Reply Jody Vance December 6, 2016 at 8:27 am

If we can reach a few …. it’s worth it. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful comment.