Little white lies – are they ok? – by Claire

lying

Photo credit Christina Reichi Photography

The woman that cuts my hair calls me Julie!

I’m not sure where or when the mistake began. I KNOW I introduced myself as Claire, but somewhere between my first and third haircut, she started calling me Julie.
I clearly remember sitting in the waiting area at the salon (around my fourth appointment) when she called “ok Julie – you’re up” – as I leapt to me feet, my bemused girlfriend said “you’re not Julie” and I simply said “well, here I am”!
The best part of being a fictitious Julie is that I have now made up an entirely fictitious life to chat about with my hairdresser.
Julie has been married for close to 25 years to her high school sweetheart (I am not).
Julie has three strapping, grown up kids (I do not)
And Julie is looking forward to retiring from her career (“desk job”) in a couple of years (I wish)!
Now all of this is an out and out lie – but for some reason, I don’t feel bad.
It’s not hurting anyone and I have – I feel rather deftly – avoided that awkward point in our relationship where I would have had to point out to my lovely hairdresser that my name is actually Claire.
So when is lying ok??
The BCC has a lying ethics guide – which I have read (no lie) –  but it feels onerous.
I know I know.. honesty is the best policy. Seriously people I know.
But this feels so harmless..
What do you think?!
Claire

• Reply Beth Triggs October 28, 2016 at 8:45 am

Oh dear! That’s not my definition of a “white lie”. A white lie is saying “the cheque’s in the mail”, when it isn’t, or “that looks great on you”, when it doesn’t. You’ve fabricated an entire life! That’s just… creepy. I think Julie needs to confess… #mystylistisirreplaceable

• Reply Claire Martin November 4, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Oh gawd, really?? Yeh.. methinks that this may have been the beginning of the confession! Thanks for the comment.

• Reply ghmanderson October 28, 2016 at 9:36 am

I would really like to try this one on my barber but it is too late and besides he already does not believe that I have four sisters and four brothers and 27 nieces and nephews so he thinks the truth is a lie.

• Reply Claire Martin November 4, 2016 at 4:33 pm

Ok, now when true life is stranger than lies, you’ve got it made!

• Reply Florence Spencer October 28, 2016 at 11:40 am

Are you having fun with this? You have had a hell of a serious journey over the past few months so enjoy your new found creativity for a while. It will no doubt give you something else to think about for a while and give your mind a rest from not so pleasant thoughts.
    I only encourage you in this because it is not really harming and I have faith enough in you to believe that you will return to your own honest reality in a while!!!

• Reply Claire Martin November 4, 2016 at 4:34 pm

I will. I will. Actually footnote to the story.. had my haircut today.. and confessed all. My hairdresser fell about laughing when I told her what I had done. And now she’s reading #mybackyard every day!!